The public lectures arranged by the MGCL are given by experts in their field and cover an extremely wide spectrum of topics – usually with a legal connection.
They present a great opportunity to students and members of the public alike to acquaint themselves with subjects which may be outside their general knowledge and, if they choose, to participate in informed discussion about them – all in the most congenial of surroundings.
- His Honour Judge Michael Baker QC
These free lectures are open to the public, current students, alumni and University staff. They are regularly attended by members of the legal profession, providing excellent networking opportunities. Lectures take place at various points throughout the academic year.
Sir Christopher Staughton Memorial Lecture
In 2017 the School has also launched a flagship lecture series named in memory of the distinguished commercial law judge, Sir Christopher Staughton.
High calibre speakers
The public lecture series is delivered by a range of high-calibre speakers, including members of the judiciary, parliament, public figures, academics, historians and journalists. Past speakers have included:
- Lord Bingham (Former Senior Law Lord)
- Lord Clarke (Justice of the Supreme Court and Former Master of the Rolls)
- Lord Dyson (Former Justice of the Supreme Court and Former Master of the Rolls)
- Lord Judge (Former Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales)
- Lord Woolf (Former Lord Chief Justice, and Architect of the Civil Procedure Rules)
- Sir Robin Auld (Former Lord Justice of Appeal and Reviewer of the Criminal Courts)
- Sir Alan Ward (Chair of the Civil Mediation Council and Former Lord Justice of Appeal)
- Sir Anthony Hooper (Former Lord Justice of Appeal)
- Lord Tom McNally (Former Minister of State for Justice and Current Chair of the Youth Justice Board)
- Mr Justice Snowden (High Court Judge of the Chancery Division)
- William Trower QC
- Sir Keir Starmer QC (Former Director of Public Prosecutions)
- Dominic Grieve QC MP (Former Attorney General)
- Vera Baird QC (Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner)
- Max Hill QC, (the Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation)
Themes and topics
Our prestigious public lecture series covers a range of themes including legal, historical and political. Past lectures have covered topics such as:
- The Rule of Law
- Social Justice and Politics
- The Future of the Legal Profession
- Human Rights
- Privacy and Freedom of Expression
- Corporate Governance
- Constitutional Reform
- Terrorism legislation in the UK.